SPEND THE DAY AT THE DENVER ART MUSEUM! Volunteers needed to help with activities!
RMWG has a wonderful outreach opportunity to work with the DAM–
A Family Dye Day at the Dye Garden is scheduled for September 14 from 10-4 (regular museum hours are 10-5). A series of stations will be set up that need volunteers to help with the the activities out on the plaza (outside of the Hamilton Building entrance). There will be a few opportunities to explore natural dyes inside the museum. Here is the event listing with a picture of our Pop-up Dye Garden if you haven’t had a chance to visit it in person: http://denverartmuseum.org/calendar/day-dye-garden-flowers-fabrics.
Here are the stations that we are developing at this point with a brief explanation. Except for the Indigo Dyeing, all stations will be out on the plaza:
1. Touch/Feel Dye Plants (Visitors can explore an array of dye plants, see the colors they produce, see samples of dyed fabrics)
2. Plants Steeping/Preparation for Dyeing (learn about the steps taken to prepare plants for natural dyeing)
3. Painting with Natural Dyes (Visitors can paint with natural dyes)
4. Compost (Eco) Dyeing/Bundle Dyeing (demonstration of compost and bundle dyeing techniques; visitors can take home instruction sheets to try at home)
5. Tour of the Dye Garden (with landscape architects that contributed to project; pick up creative tips on how to create your own dye garden on any scale)
6. Indigo Dyeing (visitors will be able to sign up to dye a bandana in the Lower Level Art Studio): Donna Brown will need help with this activity
The event runs from 10-4, so if we have enough volunteers to cover, we could easily divide it into a 10 AM-1 PM shift and a 1 PM-4 PM shift. We can expect that Education Department staff and interns will also be on hand to assist where needed.
Please contact Meri Moller, Outreach Coordinator, if you are interested. Email
RMWG volunteers will receive free parking for the day along with a ticket to visit the museum another time